Table of Contents  

Prevalence of antithyroid antibodies in chronic urtcaria

Santosh Daflapurkar
Published in : HAMDAN MEDICAL JOURNAL ; Vol 8, No 1 (2015)
DOI : 10.7707/hmj.385

Abstract


Urticaria persisting beyond 6 weeks is classified as chronic urticaria. It is further divided into two categories: autoimmune and idiopathic. Chronic autoimmune urticaria accounts for 45% of cases, and chronic idiopathic urticaria is seen in the other 55% of cases. Sixty patients with chronic urticaria, consulted over a 2-year period, were evaluated. Complete blood count, a thyroid function test and an antithyroid antibody evaluation were advised. Patients positive for antithyroid antibodies were given immunosuppressive therapy (methotrexate) as well as antihistamines. After 6 months of treatment with methotrexate, repeat titres of antithyroid antibodies were carried out. There was a significant decline in antithyroid antibody levels. Clinically these patients could discontinue antihistamines. Five patients showed recurrence of symptoms 3 months after discontinuation of treatment, but the symptoms were mild and easily controlled with antihistamines.

 


View article in  :   PDF     HTML    



Add comment 





Home  Editorial Board  Search  Current Issue  Archive Issues  Announcements  Aims & Scope  About the Journal  How to Submit  Contact Us
Find out how to become a part of the HMJ  |   CLICK HERE >>
© Copyright 2012 - 2013 HMJ - HAMDAN Medical Journal. All Rights Reserved         Website Developed By Cedar Solutions INDIA